mercy

Today was a big learning experience for me. I took Abby to the eye doctor for a checkup. I learned that this is not for the faint of heart. She is painfully shy so you can imagine how this event transpired-not good. Mike & I had talked it up for a week, made promises, told our own "when I was a little girl/boy and went to the eye doctor" stories, and on and on. Her reward was going to be going to the infamous McDonald's playland after the appointment if she talked to the doctor and answered all his questions. Well, to make a long story short, you couldn't have gotten a squeak out of her-her lips were sealed and not budging. It's so difficult for me to not talk for her and to not make excuses for her. He had to put eye drops in to look and see if she was nearsighted. I was ecstatic to find out they can do this so easily. I think next time I'll opt for that myself since I know the charts by memory and can never tell if A or B looks better...then they can just give me the next blinder prescription.

Anyway, back to my point- we got done and she had not met the requirment for going to McDonald's, not even by a long shot. In fact, she practically ran out the door saying in a gruffy tone, "I dont' ever want to come here again, I didn't like those eye drops, not even when I'm five!"

So at first I said, "We can't go to McDonald's-you didn't answer the doctor when he asked you anything!"

Then a tiny little excerpt from a book of Carolyn's came to mind. It was about teaching your children of God's mercy. Nudge, nudge, nudge, here's my chance, the perfect opportunity! After all, we teach her that God loves us, kindness, patience, forgiveness, but we've yet to tell her about mercy, wonderful mercy, pure undeserved mercy. So I said,"We're going to McDonald's anyway!" and then on the way I got to tell her of God's mercy even though we don't deserve it. Whether she "gets it" right now is irrelevant! It was a huge reminder to me (the type "A" rule follower to a fault) that it's good to be merciful and not so strict as I usually am. She is, after all, three and could use some. So could all those from 3-103 that I'm too quick to judge. And so could I at almost 30-that's for sure! Like my friend Suzanne, I'm so glad the Lord uses everyday occurances with our children to teach us so much! Thank goodness His mercies are new every morning...

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Luke 6:36

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful lesson about mercy. Kristy, I love you and yours, .........Nannaw

3/28/2006 11:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that sweet thang needed some NUGGETS!! My problem is I had rather have peace than punishment....because peace is easier and punishment is hard...I don't think it is about Mercy for me. But for all the parents out there who are consistent with discipline and do what they say instead of warning after warning (so I have caught a few episodes of SuperNanny!!!) then mercy is needed. You and Mike are great parents! Keep up the good work!

3/29/2006 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

OK. Don't read my post today! It is the opposite of yours. Maybe that is why God made us friends. When your being too lenient ,I am crying 'discipline'. And when I am ready to beat my kids ,youre yelling 'he's only 9'. When Abby is showing just how hard her head is I am saying 'it's her personality, it will be to her benefit someday'. And when Adelyn hasnt cleaned her room for days, you come over and help me clean it. Thanks for being a great friend!!!

3/29/2006 10:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby talked to me on the phone last night and told me about her venture. She said, "I went to the eye doctor." We talked about what he did, but she didn't elaborate. I said, "Did he shine a light in your eyes?" "Yes." "And it didn't hurt, did it?" "No." I said, " He put drops in them and it didn't hurt, it was just uncomfortable?" That didn't hurt did it?" "No." never answered that!!!!!! But I could hear that little brain in motion, like, "Whatada' you mean it didn't hurt?" Smile GM Doris

3/29/2006 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Abby's day was a little "foggy"! Girl! She deserved McD's just because of that fog and for being the youngest patient! Really! That doc ought to at least get some purple eye drops!

Anyway, she'll be smart enough to tell you when she can't see good enough - maybe when she's five!

Next time go to McD's first!

I know two grown ups that had a blast!

mimi

3/29/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,
Wow! Conviction! I have not shown the mercy my kids deserve lately. Thanks for the reminder.

PS: The place where Suzanne's name is highlighted connects to a blog with the name Joyful Chaos, but it's not Suzanne's.

3/29/2006 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Great blogg, Kristy. I have to say that I'm a pretty strict mamma.. and when I say "if you don't do "x" then you're not getting "x" I almost always follow through with little thought to mercy. I guess there's a line to be drawn in the sand between disciplining kids and being too hard on them. They are just kids afterall!

3/31/2006 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home