friend


We have a new pet in our household-Friend. He/she, whatever, is a new goldfish. Abby won a goldfish at the county fair when she was almost 2 years old. She and mike decided Goldie would be a great name so we had Goldie-but only for about 5 days. Then we got Goldie #2 (she was too young to figure out why Goldie #1 was floating on his back). I must say that as far as fish are concerned, Goldie Dos is the most hearty one I've ever known. Goldie has resided in a 2-3 year old's room for quite some time now. My favorite fish story happened when some of her boyfriends were over playing one morning. I won't name names. Their Mom walked into the kitchen and said to me," They're dippin' paint brushes (from the stampin' holy grail) into the fish tank and using it to paint on the wall; do you want me to stop them?" Need I really answer that. I live in a 1-girl house, of course I wanted it stopped. Over a year he's survived feats like this! His water has had paint brushes dipped into it, toys added to it for his playing pleasures, and probably even more interesting things that I don't know about. Now he has a Friend. We'll see if they survive this change. Mike and I are just hoping that the new Friend doesn't eat poor Goldie because Friend is at least twice as big as Goldie.

Photography lesson #327: fish DO NOT make great subjects. They just won't be still and they swim so fast that my new camera can't keep up. I know there's probably a setting that I just haven't played with yet, so here is the crummy picture of Goldie and Friend. Oh, and while I was making the picture Abby informed me that Friend is Goldie's mommy since she's bigger. Go figure!

By the way, don't you just love our pet names around here? Her favorite toys in the whole wide world are stuffed animal dogs and puppies. We counted not long ago and we're pushin' 20 of these fun, quiet pets. They have names like Snickers, Sniffles, Lamp,Toilet Paper, anything she happened to be looking at when we ask, "What's this one's name?" Too funny, she is!

Abby really wants a chinchilla. Yeah, a chinchilla, you heard correctly. I didn't even know what one was til' she announced this desire and I had to look it up. She knows all about them and promises it would make a great pet. She informed me that they're nocturnal, sleep all day, take dust baths, other pertinent info. Oh, and she told me that she'd put a diaper under the cage so he won't get his cage nasty with poop. I said, "Call your Memaw!" We had fun looking online at them and all the things you can buy to keep your chinchilla happy-I think a cat would be cheaper in the long run and way more fun than a caged animal...and plus we just got a baby sister, geez, isn't that better than a chinchilla? We'll keep you posted on the chinchilla front! Maybe we'd better just stick to the hearty goldfish duo for now. I'll just warn you not to be looking for any crummy chinchilla shots any time soon...

7 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

First of all, that is a really cool photo! Way to go!!

Second, when I was growing up I had a goldfish named Henry. He lived for 7 years! We were always getting him friends. We had Henrietta one time. Anyway, none of the 'friends' would ever survive more than a month. He was a hearty little fellow and he obviously didn't want friends. Hope Abby isnt too traumatized when Goldie knocks off Mommy fish!! Oh well, if it happens it will be like the plot of Disney movie. She will be fine.

3/16/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger McDreamy said...

oh, c'mon. name names.
we all know who the little-boy-friends-that-destroy-all-that-are-good are!
my thought is, are they hurting themselves/others beyond recognition? are they permanently destroying something that costs a bunch of money? is it giving me a few minutes of peace? even with this, the operative words are "beyond recognition", "permanently", "a bunch", and the real kicker to decide whether or not to stop their adventures... "peace"!
gosh, and they haven't even gotten mentioned yet for teaching your daughter things such as "monster poop." :)
and btw, the picture is AMAZING.

3/16/2006 01:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I'd like to know, is this a stinky fish (to quote Miss Abby) like the first one was? Smile
GM Doris

3/16/2006 08:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will get busy looking for a toy stuffed chinchilla. There are limits beyond which even a Memaw won't go and a rat like creature is one of my limits, diaper or not! On the other hand, Memaw will get her all the dogs she wants.

3/17/2006 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Yes, GM Doris, I'm sure this one is stinky too. I had forgotten that she told you that!

And Memaw, PLEASE no more stuffed animals-they're running out our ears. Let her keep dreaming and maybe she can get a hamster or something cheaper like that for her BD. It'll make it that much sweeter if she has to wait. :)

3/17/2006 01:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chinchillas? For fur coats maybe!

BTW, Kristy, there were two Chinchilla farms on the same road with us when we lived in LR. I don't think they were raising pets! We used to visit one of them. The people lived upstairs and the Chinchillas were "housed" downstairs. Memaw should remember this. They always showed home movies of their travels.

Mimi

3/19/2006 01:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!! I don't think the picture is all that AMAZING...yes, Jeff I need to go through your polite blogger class...it's just ok...but then again..i am not one with the camera as is Caro.

I do think that miss abby must have picked up that Chincilla bit from Diego or Dora! they are always saving some exotic animal from a tree or from a kayak that is drifitng down stream out of control.

Hope you have more 7 hour nights with Lillian! Have a great day!

3/19/2006 02:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home