Dad

It's been a really yucky day around here...it rained all day long, Abby burnt her thumb and cried for 2 hours, Lil got her 2 month shots and cried for a while...exhausting. And tomorrow marks 9 years since we lost my Dad. It's funny how big life events mark you forever. This is one of mine. It's almost like things happen on a timescale of before Dad died or after, like before Mike and I were "us" or after. He was such an incredible father; words just don't do him justice but I thought I'd share some of my favorite things about Dad:

-he loved to laugh
-the stories he'd tell
-he always had time
-he hardly ever got in a hurry (not always a favorite thing :)
-the smell of his pipe
-the taste of a ham he smoked
-his hugs no matter how old I got
-he taught me how to live
-he had integrity and character
-he worked hard no matter what
-his thick gray hair (now you know where I get it)
-he got up early in the morning
-he went to bed early in the night
-he loved kids and worked in the church preschool even after Andy and I were teenagers
-he was a loyal friend
-he loved us and Mom and it showed

I miss so many things about him for my own sake but mostly I hate that my girls don't have him here in the flesh. Sometimes I start to let myself begin feeling like they've been cheated and then I'm reminded that the Lord is father to the fatherless. He will be sufficient for me and for them. I hope they can see some of him (and Him) in me and I'm blessed because they have a great Daddy, too!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy, you and Andy did have a good daddy and your mother had a good husband. He loved you so much that he lived wanting to make all of you happy. He was reared by a good mother and father. I think of him every day and feel blessed that he was my son-in-law. He did so many things for so many people. I, too, am thankful that Mike is also a good daddy for your girls. Love you much, Nannaw

3/20/2006 07:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy....one more thought. The reason your daddy was so happy himself was that you and Andy gave him and Ginger such joy.
..........Nannaw

3/20/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger McDreamy said...

i love you so much. i'm so sorry about yesterday and i can't imagine how hard today is. i'm here for anything. i do love you so much. and your post is so beautiful. he would've loved it.

3/21/2006 06:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I know such anniversary's like these are hard, but I know he would want you to have JOY and PEACE and LOVE in your life which you have. I know he is proud of you!

dawn

3/21/2006 01:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home