that'll be safe



Today I was going through iPhoto getting ready to order some prints and came across these pictures of Abby. She's a girl trained well by Mike for safety. Too bad he can't apply the same principles to driving. :) I'm not sure how he arrived at being so cautious and protective after hearing some of the stories of his teenagerhood. Usually when he divulges stories about wreckless driving, dangerous activities, and plain ol' boy idiocracy I say,"Please don't finish telling me this and don't ever tell me anything like this again. I don't want to know and I'm just thankful God spared your life in spite of yourself." Although you wouldn't know it now, he was quite the daredevil. Speaking of which, I love Matt Parker's blog about taking chances! Check it out, he is hilarious and has some great points.

But now, Mike is all about cautious. Maybe it's because he's a little older and wiser, maybe because he and I saw too many videos in college about Traumatic Brain Injury and the likes preparing us for our professions, maybe because he sees how vulnerable life really is, maybe because he has precious girls in his care. Who knows?

These pictures make me chuckle because they are so Abigail. Her Great Grandma Doris sent a "big girl bike" for her birthday in November and she loves it. Somehow Grandma knew the purple one was just for her! One of her first rides on the driveway she, of course, crashed and burned. I was shocked beyond belief that she would even get back on the thing after that. But she did... and crashed again the next time. So, Mike decided to surprise her with her very own princess helmet and pads. This is the "trying on and adjusting session". She was so happy that she practically wanted to wear them to bed.

Her quote comes from the park (a couple of months ago) yet again. I overheard her friend Adelyn say, "What do you want to do, Abby?" Her reply (not knowing I was listening): "Let's go swing in the bucket swings, that'll be safe, Adelyn!" This is word for word what she said, no kidding. No living life on the edge in the real swings for this 3 year old! I smiled knowing that Mike would have been proud!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I will be SHOCKED if Lilly is like cautious Abby! I have a feeling Lilly will be swinging from the ceiling fan!! Your house will be so much fun!

3/08/2006 10:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my girl. "Easy goes it", another one of Abigail's quotes.
I am not overly cautious. I don't use the large size bubble-wrap for her only the smaller size.

3/08/2006 11:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great job...it's that first born...caro is right the first we do have in bubble wrap the second just goes full throttle!!!!

love,dawn

3/09/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm . . .here's a little genetic comparison. 1st born/2nd born:

Kristy - bubble wrap
Andy - full throttle

Ashley - bubble wrap
Lauren - full throttle

John - bubble
Drew - throttle

Ginger - bubble wrap
Gloria - full throttle

I could tell some stories on Ginger and me! Maybe later - like 100 yrs. later! Well. . . there was the cow thing. She saw a cow when we were visiting some church members one time and got Hugh and I up on top of a car so the cow wouldn't get us. We were very little and I know she had to frantically work, pushing and shoving us up. Turns out the cow was behind the fence, minding her own business. But Sis just knew that cow was after us! Now I have no objections to riding on top of a car, but to climb up and just sit there is another thing!

These girls will be a perfect balance! Abby will help Lilly put the brakes on. Lilly will help Abby push the envelope!

3/09/2006 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Kristy I LOVE the pics of Abby in her 'safety gear.' Madison has the same set for her bike that she never rides.. and yes.. her daredevil daddy bought hers for her as well. :) I have to agree with everyone... Madison (1st born) is safe and cautious and wants everything in general to be "just so" where as her baby bro Carter is, to sum it up, insane! It does make for a fun house!

3/11/2006 06:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home