sleep eludes me


so I post. hmmmm... why is it that after a long night with a baby last night and a day of break-neck pace frenzy...well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration - I CAN'T SLEEP!?!?!? I had a Coca-Cola at dinner. I wonder? hmmmmm, after no caffiene to speak of since Lilly was born I think it affects me more than I realize.

I will just tell you my thoughts that are running through my head. Mostly useless thoughts. But not all useless. I think if I were really honest, I would probably be a "journaler". I'm not sure when I quit keeping a journal but so far, the blog thing seems to work for me. And I would have never dreamed that I would share my journal with the whole entire world at large. In fact, I promptly throw away any journals for fear of being embarrassed that someone would know my thoughts. I'm not sure why this bothers me since they probably wouldn't be reading my journal unless I'm six feet under. And then, I somehow don't think I'll really care if they read it or not. Gee, I'm weird.No comments please!

I've memorized Ephesians 4:29 over the last 2 weeks. It says: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their need, that it may benefit those who listen." Man, I have failed so many times at that these last couple of weeks but I can also think of at least several occasions that the verse popped into my head right before I said something I shouldn't have and I bit my tongue. I don't know how many times I've asked myself, "okay, who is this benefitting, and the answer is a LOUD NO ONE! " It's been really helpful to me. It's amazing how much I talk and how little of it is really beneficial to those who listen. It's true that we can be transformed little by little...by the renewing of our minds, by scripture that is God-breathed. I'm so thankful for that!

Now that I've shared my un-beneficial thoughts with all of you and at the same time preached about beneficial words (is that 'talking out both sides of my mouth'), I'll go try to sleep again! I wish I was sleeping as hard as Abby in this picture. She only made it halfway out of bed and snoozed some more. With her puppy and Dora's baby sister in the same position as her. There's something about sleeping kids that make parents dash for the camera. Hilarious!

Sweet dreams!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the devotional...I needed to hear that verse. It is so good when you can bite your tongue and not speak when you really want to. I am usually just regretting things I've said. I hope that TODAY I will remember that verse and lift others up. The Lord knows that there is always there to bring them right back down. I want to be the lifter not the pull back downer!

I got Flip Flops from Brandi today!!! Hannah got two pair today one from Anna Beth and one from Caroline. She loves the pair Abby sent...she has worn them two days this week. I hope I get more. MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/17/2006 09:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy
That scripture goes right along with what I have had on my mind since the women's conference in Crossett last weekend.

The speaker told us that if Christians really want to reach people, we will have to stop protesting the issues so much (drugs, abortion, etc.) and put the person first. Lifting them up in prayer, helping and befriending them, and making sure WHAT WE SAY to them or about them is kind and unjudgemental!

Protest the issue + forget the person = FAILURE

Your scripture reference is one I will try to memorize!

Thanks for sharing, we need all the reminders we can get.

Love ya! Mimi

p.s. I think that picture is one you should keep in mind to share during the senior slideshow several years from now!

5/17/2006 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Diana Harton said...

Hey Kristy, great post. That is something that I am working on myself. I guess I have been listening to Jeffs sermons each week and he has got me thinking about the negative things that come out of my mouth. It is so hard some times to say something positive so I guess those are the times that we should say nothing at all. (That is something else that I am not very good at....keeping my mouth shut.)

5/17/2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

It is so hard to be positive with ppl all of the time, especially negative people! ;) Your post was great, I'd have never known you were having an insomnia moment. I have those every single night that Clayton works... I sit awake watching tv, reading, watching the clock, doing anything EXCEPT going to the dreaded bed alone! lol

5/17/2006 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy, The picture of Abby reminds me of Mike. When he was little and would visit, he'd protest, "I'm not sleepy." So we'd let him wander and would find him hanging off the bed, sometimes with his feet still on the floor - fast asleep. GM Doris

5/18/2006 07:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home