running on empty!


I was talking to my friend, Mel, a few minutes ago. Apparently she frequents my blog and is checking out what I've written. She seemed to be tired of checking for no new news and although she loves Lilly's cute little picture, she's seen it dozens of times now and said, "Just go blog something!!!!" So here I sit. I seem to be in a writer's block...I'm not sure what to attribute it to and really, it doesn't matter anyway.

I was trying to think of what I've been up to, and well, it's kinda funny actually. I've become an exercise-aholic. Not to worry, it won't last long. Don't send the guys in white coats for me just yet. It all started when Mike decided to train for the St. Jude's Children's Hospital marathon (this December). Being slightly competitive, I decided to go for the gusto, too,and try the 5K. I mean, he can't have all the fun, right? I actually trained for and ran in a 5K about 7 years ago in Conway and met my other friend, Melanie, and became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator because of her. Anway,2 kids and 40 pounds later, here I am. So I started my training program about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Brandy Files tries to run with me when she can and my friend, Becca, talked me into running the Swamp Sister (Nun Run) 5K at Arkansas Post. It was yesterday afternoon. AR Post is a national park in the middle of nowhere. Literally. In fact, most of the run was through the woods, beside the river, and there was no sign of getting to grandma's house anytime soon. Scary. Becca has been doing much better with her training than I have so she quickly left me eating her dust, making me the last of the runners. I wanted her to go on and do her best. I'm so proud of her. I just kept my eye's peeled for the walkers, making sure they didn't bypass me. It was a great time and I did place 3rd in the women's age 20-29 division. It was quite an honor to get my medal since there were only 3 of us in the age division :) That cracked me up!

Please check out Monticello Live and leave a comment. Make sure you say I sent you so that I have a better chance of winning the iPod (you'll see what I mean) and getting with the times. I have wished for one countless times during my recent exercise escapades. I could have used it in the 5K, big time! I had a LONG, LONG, time to think about nothing. Mostly my thoughts were,
"Where is the 1-mile marker?
Oh my gosh, I might die here in the Swamp Sister 5K and the alligators will eat me!!! Where is the 2 mile marker????
Surely I've gone at least 3 miles already.
My legs can't handle this much body,
I can't breath,
etc, etc, etc."

This all went on for over 40 minutes. All this to say, I might have done better had I had an iPod and could've been jammin' to, to, well, who knows; but I would've been jammin' fo' sho'. Just kidding, but go check out Monticello Live. It's Monticello's new online newspaper, basically, and it's great! Go! Now! Help me win!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sugar-n-Spice said...

for somebody with writer's block you sure write well! made me laugh out loud! leaving tj asking again and again "what are you laughing at". and apparently i don't "tell" as well as you write, cause he doesn't laugh. . .making me feel silly! :)

10/15/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger Sugar-n-Spice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/15/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOHOO you're back!!! Looks like you're back in the groove!! I didn't know you were running! I'm proud of you and you should be proud of you too!! I'll go to the link and fill out whatever for the iPod. Glad you're back.

10/16/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey the Swamp Sister thing was fun for me and the girls although we had to wait a longgggg time for Mommy to cross the finish line. Just kidding. I am proud of you for entering the race. Looking forward to Memphis.

10/16/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. I've never had enough nerve to run or even walk in a 5K! I just put 2 and 2 together and realized Mike will be running in the same marathon as my brother-in-law in Memphis. We'll be there cheering him on...and Mike too, of course! ;)

10/16/2006 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mark W. said...

Glad to see you back on the blog...remember that blogging is exercise too...energy is expended through the fingers and heavy thought processes. Congrats on the 5K training. That's impressive.

10/16/2006 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Does Mark's comment mean that I have been exercising too? He hee. I have been super bad about our bet. The scale won't lie. I keep saying maybe tomarrow...

10/17/2006 10:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy, tell Mike that Arie and some guys who work with him are training to run in the Boston Marathon next year. I stand on the side line and cheer him on. heh heh. I'm proud of you and Mike for running. Grandma Doris

10/18/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy, tell Mike that Arie and some guys who work with him are training to run in the Boston Marathon next year. I stand on the side line and cheer him on. heh heh. I'm proud of you and Mike for running. Grandma Doris

10/18/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike - good luck on your St. Jude marathon! We need more runners like you here in Monticello. Taper well, eat carbs, hydrate, relax and just stick with your pace- no matter how crazy the adrenaline out there is. Let er rip at the last 6-8 miles, absorb the energy of the crowd and think about the kids at St Jude hospital who are sick, kids who want to go out and play but can't--- YOU are running for them.

From,

Guy with the funny looking hat at monticello rough and ready 5k 2006

11/06/2006 08:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home