hello again


hey. sorry for the momentary lapse in blogging and blog reading. i've been receiving prods about when i would be back. my absence is partly on purpose and partly not. i realized how much time i was spending in front of the computer screen and how little i was spending on "real books" so i've chosen the "real books" for a while and a blog-fast of sorts. it's not that i don't gain lots of valuable insight from reading your blogs but i love books and needed to refocus. right now i'm reading several things and working through a bible study that is keeping me busy.

here's the rundown:
The Patriarchs by Beth Moore-a study of the book of genesis and the patriarchs. i had begun it earlier this year and never made it past week one of ten so now i'm in week four. it's so good that i catch myself wanting to go ahead and complete more than one lesson a day. i need to slow down and digest it more. lots to learn about obedience to God and living out a faithful(l) life.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason-stolen from Jeff's coffee table (Carolyn said I could)-ancient wisdom for finances. It's sort of old-timey Babylonian parables. It's really fun to read-I can see the conversations played out in my mind's eye like a play.

Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge-WOW! This book is all about women. In fact, the subtitle reads,"Unveiling the mystery of a woman's soul." Although I don't like the normal stereotypes about men and women and squirm at the phrase, "Most women... or most men...." this book was great. I've finished it and will be passing it along to Mike now.

Cultivating Contentment by Luci Swindoll-I'm reading this book for a women's group that meets each week. It's a much needed look at contentment (or lack thereof). A real eye-opener and thought provoker.

Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs-circa 1620. yeah. enough said. it's like reading a dissertation and very challenging. just what i love and need in a good book. if "cultivating contentment" is baby food then this book is the meat and taters. seriously. i've got lots to think about and i'm only on page 9. it takes a lot of thought to just get through sentence by sentence. if you're looking for a literary challenge and a spiritual challenge then this is it, all rolled into one.

In other news, Abigail started preschool a couple of weeks ago and loves it. She enjoys her time there and I wish for time to stand still in more ways than one. We're extremely blessed and extremely proud.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sugar-n-Spice said...

so glad to see you back in the blogging world! :) missed ya! how in the world do you . . .and others. . . read more than one book at a time? i love to read, but i'm a one at a time kinda girl! are you still running? i actually enjoyed it and keep telling myself i'll do it on my own, but of course i haven't yet! :)

9/18/2006 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I used to not read more than one either but now I do. Don't know when or how... yep, still been running some but I need you to go with....plus I just got a big dose of pinicillin for whatever has been ailing me (stopping strep, really I think) so I should be back to it by mid-week.

9/18/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger K.T. is Mommatude said...

Wow that literary list is quite an undertaking-I will read 3 or 4 at one time but wow,are you superwoman.....I have been wondering that about Brandy too-LOL,You all make me look like a lazy bum...LOL.Great Post!

9/18/2006 09:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mark W. said...

Whoa, Nellie!! That's an impressive list of books. Once you start reading multiple books at a time, you probably always will. It's SO fun. Don't let it keep you from the computer for too long a stretch. How 'bout an in-depth review post? There's an idea!

9/18/2006 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While your friends are reading what you said, I'm looking at the beautiful school girl who looks old enough for preschool but this old greatgrand finds that hard to accept. Don't they grow so fast!!!
Where does time go? I do read what you write and like it. Nannaw

9/21/2006 07:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home